Chorley & South Ribble District Hospital
Client: Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Value: £1 Million
FWP has provided a multi-disciplinary service, creating a unique medical education facility within an existing ward at Chorley & South Ribble District Hospital for Lancashire Teaching Hospitals. The centre, called LIFE, standing for Learning Inspiration Future Employment, launched in early 2018. The Widening Participation Facility is a flagship project which is set to inspire and educate a wide range of students.
This exciting new learning environment features state of the art 3D technology and mock A&E, Resuscitation, X-Ray and Paediatric Wards.
The Widening Participation Facility features;
- A Mobile Education Unit, or ‘Simbus’, which will visit local schools and colleges to provide ‘hands on’ medical education complete with cameras to record the sessions and a wide screen TV to watch the recorded footage.
- A large 3D ‘Active Wall’ which will allow students the opportunity to view and manipulate 3D medical objects such as human organs.
- Virtual reality headsets where participants can view 360 degree videos.
- Augmented reality training using iPads to view various human organs and learn how they work.
- Practical training exercises in simulated ward areas using decommissioned hospital equipment to experience what it’s like to work as a medical professional.
The Widening Participation Facility is a Lancashire wide centre which is available for use by all education organisations and NHS Trusts. The aim of the facility is to highlight the importance of health promotion and inspire students to undertake a career in the NHS.